I am a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, achieving the BACP Certificate of Proficiency, and I adhere to their ethics and guidelines. I offer counselling to adults, young people and children, and I work from my home in a small village.
Where I counsel
Since training as an integrative counsellor at Newman University I have worked with adults at the Well Counselling Service and with Cruse Bereavement Care.
I worked as a teacher for several years and during that time I saw a great need for children to be listened to carefully and fully. After finishing my additional training in counselling children and young people at the University of South Wales, I became a school counsellor in South Wales, based in Newport where I have worked in both secondary and primary education.
Issues I work with
I offer short or long-term counselling in abuse, anger, anxiety, bereavement and loss, depression, low self-esteem, obsessive compulsive disorder, relationship issues, self-harm, spirituality, stress, suicidal thoughts, trauma and work related issues. I have helped children with depression, behavioural issues, obsessive compulsive disorder, self-harm, anxiety, family problems, anger, bullying, low self-esteem, dyslexia and bereavement. When working with children, I often use creative counselling skills, play therapy and sand tray therapy to help them engage in the process.
- Foundation Degree in Integrative Counselling (Newman University)
- MA Counselling Children and Young People (University of South Wales)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (Gloucester Counselling Services)
- Ascentis Level 2 in Bereavement Care with Children and Young People
- Cruse Bereavement Care with Children and Young People
- B.Ed Hons Nursery/Primary Education (University of London)
- PG Cert Education (Special Educational Needs Coordination)
- DBS Enhanced Certificate
- The Foundation for Infant Loss Training
- Further training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Fully insured for working with adults, children and young people
My most recent training has been in supervision training with Cruse, training in how to work with Trauma, and training in Mindfulness.
I regularly update my knowledge and skills by Continual Professional Development (CPD) workshops. To date, this has included
- Self-Harm in Young People
- Creative Therapy
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Creative Writing in Therapy
- Introduction to Psychodrama
- Eating Disorders
- Safeguarding (annual update)
- Sexual Exploitation of Young People
Developing Emotional Resilience in Young People